Monday, March 4, 2013

Joyful giving - a gift for yourself


I live with a hoarder. My DH LOVES to keep things that he may never find any use for in his lifetime. I'm not exaggerating here, I swear! He just finds it so difficult to throw away stuff. I am just the opposite of him in this matter. I go on a 'decluttering spree' every now and then and it gives me immense satisfaction to pile up all the stuff I'm going to do away with, then look at what could be given away to someone else who may find use for it and what needs to be thrown. I suspect a few people look forward to these cleaning sprees of mine, because they benefit. The books, old clothes, old magazines, toys..there is always someone around who will find use for them.
I was a hoarder too, not too long ago. Until I read in a Feng Shui book somewhere that clutter creates negative energy. Stuff that lies around catching dust is not good for the energy in your home. I dont know how much truth there is to this, I just go by the general feeling of well being that follows a good cleaning session that gives me a pile of stuff to give away. I also read somewhere, I think it was something related to psychology, that cluttering up spaces and shelves actually indicates the clutter in your mind. I'm not anywhere close to a cleaning OCD, but I strongly recommend that people try this sometime - find out stuff in your house that you havent used for a long while. Stuff that is still in reasonably good condition and can be used by someone else. Gather a lot of such things, you'll find that when you actually start looking for such things you'll end up with a surprisingly big pile of it. Take a look at each item in the pile to make sure it is good enough to be of some use to someone and then give it away! This is important - Give it away JOYFULLY.
If you still need motivation, let me share my personal experience with you. I find that you'll always have enough to give away and be comfortable, once you start giving with a joyful heart and an open mind. You're creating space for more good things to fill up in your life.
Joyful giving. A way of being kind that feels like opening up your heart to sunshine and love. Its actually a favor you do for yourself.Image
Love. light, happiness and peace to you AND your loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment